I was doing some research today for Think IT Won’t Happen To You? Thursday, and I found some great articles and resources for parents, especially for their families. Each of the articles had some really good advice, tools and how-to’s for watching over them (their children) and protecting them from online predators!
Check out all 4 of these great online resources below, read and study the information, becuase you may never know… when you might need it!
1) What does an online predator “look like”?
The online predator:
2) Is typically clean cut and outwardly law abiding
3) Is usually white, middle-aged or younger, and male
4) Uses position in society to throw off suspicion
5) Can rise to be a pillar of society while actively pursuing children
6) Often engages in activities involving children
7) Appears trusting to both parents and child
“Predators are in all professions. Unfortunately, we have seen doctors, lawyers, law enforcement and clergy. There is really no common trait. In fact, many of them are drawn to those particular professions which give them access to children” —Mary Beth Buchanan, U.S. District Attorney, Western Pennsylvania
It is very difficult to recognize a disguised predator.
2) Sexual Predator Warning Signs
There are some common characteristics of sexual predators. If you’re worried your teen may be a sexual predator, look for these warning signs:
Refusal to take responsibility for actions and blames others or circumstances for failures
A sense of entitlement
Need for power and control
Lack of empathy
Inability to form intimate relationships with adults
History of abuse
Deviant sexual behavior and attitudes
From the book, Protecting Your Children from Sexual Predators, by Dr. Leigh M. Baker.
Other Tips on Spotting a Sexual Predator:
Often offend where they won’t get caught ” when they have misdirected people’s attention
Often married or in relationships
Offend when the victim is handy
Not always strangers, often family members, family friends and neighbors
Most attracted to adults
Good manipulators (seduction is an integral part)
Sexualize, objectify women
Users of various kinds of pornography
3) A Profile of the Child Molester
How many victims does a child molester average?
Interviews guaranteeing complete confidentiality and immunity from prosecution, conducted by Emory University psychiatrist Dr. Gene Abel*, uncovered that:
- Male offenders who abused girls had an average of 52 victims each.
- Men who molested boys had an astonishing average of 150 victims each.
- Only 3% of these crimes had ever been detected.
How do child molesters get into situations where they can exploit children?
Few child molesters are able to resist their powerful urges to initiate contact with children and will go to great lengths to do so. Common strategies include:
- Befriending parents, particularly single parents, to gain access to their children.
- Offering babysitting services to overextended parents or caregivers.
- Taking jobs and participating in community events that involve children.
- Attending sporting events for children and/or offering to coach children’s sports.
- Volunteering in youth organizations, offering to chaperone overnight trips.
- Loitering in places children frequent – playgrounds, malls, game arcades, etc.
- Spending time in Internet gaming & social communities, learning the online interests & lingo of youngsters.
- Becoming foster parents.
4) Pedophiles Can Be Anyone:
Pedophiles can be anyone — old or young, rich or poor, educated or uneducated, non-professional or professional, and of any race. However, pedophiles often demonstrate similar characteristics, but these are merely indicators and it should not be assumed that individuals with these characteristics are pedophiles. But knowledge of these characteristics coupled with questionable behavior can be used as an alert that someone may be a pedophile.
Characteristics of a Pedophile:
Often the pedophile is male and over 30 years of age.
Single or with few friends in his age group.
If married, the relationship is more “companion” based with no sexual relations.
He is often vague about time gaps in employment which may indicate a loss in employment for questionable reasons or possible past incarceration.
I hope this research will help you gain knowledge and wisdom to know this could happen to your kids and you need to be prepared and ready for any situation or problems that can arise, when dealing with predators and pedophiles in your local area!!! Click links below, to read the complete predator profile articles.
Here are the 4 great online resources:
1) Enough Is Enough – Internet Safety 101 Predator info here
2) Dr. Phil’s Parenting – Sexual Predator Warning Signs Predator info here
3) Child Lures Prevention Predator info here
4) About.com News & Issues Crime / Punishment Predator info here
Almost all pedophiles have a collection of pronography, which they protect at all costs. Many of them also collect “souvenirs” from their victims. They rarely discard either their porn or collections for any reason.
One factor that works against the pedophile is that eventually the children will grow up and recall the events that occurred. Often pedophiles are not brought to justice until such time occurs and victims are angered by being victimized and want to protect other children from the same consequences.
Laws such as Megan’s Law – a federal law passed in 1996 that authorizes local law enforcement agencies to notify the public about convicted sex offenders living, working or visiting their communities, have helped expose the pedophile and allows parents to better protect their children.
We hope you’ve enjoyed and learned from our blog, and if you have any questions… Click IT: To Contact Us
Learn IT, DO IT, Teach IT, Share IT, BE IT
KOKS Radio Show Host
Radio Security Journalist
© 2006 – 2012 Keeping Our Kids Safe | Teaching Parents The How-To’s Of Daily Online Security & Safety
About the Author:Bill Wardell
Bill Wardell Is A Radio Security Journalist, as well as an advocate for Keeping Our Kids Safe!! With over 20 years of experience owning and operating businesses offline and online. Bill has produced and hosted over 475 radio interviews with industry leaders worldwide. Bill Wardell is well known and respected for his expertise of Online Safety & Security both as an Online Radio Host & Radio Security Journalist.
Ask Bill Wardell
FREE Trial Download
- Event Calendar
- Human Trafficking Resources
- KOKS25 is the Coupon Code For SpectorSoft Products
- Search Engine
- Weekly Trending With Teens
Keeping Our Kids Safe
Royalty Free Music and Sound Effects Download the music and sound effects you need for your multimedia project today at Partners In Rhyme.